Brand Guide

Common Myths about Fireplaces

Fireplaces can really make a room feel more spacious while also making it cosier and more welcoming. The topic of fireplaces is rife with urban legends and urban myths, and we shall examine each one in turn in this section.

There is just one kind of fireplace available. You won’t have any trouble finding a fireplace or heater to suit your needs thanks to the extensive selections available. You have the ability to choose from a wide range of sizes and designs. Gas or the more traditional method of burning wood can be used to power them. If you’re in the market for a fireplace but aren’t sure which option is best suited to your requirements, speak with one of our knowledgeable specialists in gas log fires Melbourne.

Maintenance is not required for chimneys. This is not correct. Regular maintenance may help keep almost anything in working condition so that it can continue to fulfil its purpose. Creosote and soot, both byproducts of burning wood, can accumulate in a chimney over time, and if this process is allowed to continue unchecked for an extended period, it can lead to many potentially dangerous situations.

Creosote is a carcinogen that poses a variety of health risks if it is inhaled or ingested. It is possible for the skin and the eyes to get irritated if it comes into contact with you. Inhaling its particles can, over time, lead to difficulties with one’s respiratory system. Creosote that has accumulated in enormous amounts over time poses a significant risk of starting a fire. Particles from the fire are left on the sides of your chimney.

These deposits are combustible, and if they catch fire, they will cause the chimney to catch on fire as well. This is among the most common reasons why homes catch fire all around the world. In order to get rid of this creosote accumulation as painlessly as possible, it is best to hire a professional to check and clean the chimney. You should not put your safety and health in jeopardy by handling it or breathing it because of the risks involved.

A fire may be started using kerosene more quickly than with wood. Even though kerosene and other lighter fluids can start a fire in a short amount of time, using them inside your house is not a good idea due to the toxic and potentially deadly compounds that they contain. There is a risk that the kerosene will react with any accumulation of creosote, which might have severe consequences. Kerosene should only be used in a heater designed specifically for it, known as a kerosene heater since these heaters have special filters designed to remove dangerous substances that may be present in the air.

It’s ok if I keep the fire going even if I have to go out or go to sleep. No, you should never act in this manner. Even when contained within a single room, fires can behave in unforeseen ways. Put out the fire in the fireplace if you are going to be absent from the house for a lengthy amount of time or if you are going to sleep and leave the fireplace unattended. Leaving it burning during the night won’t contribute much extra heat to the home, and it will produce a significant amount of smoke pollution that is not essential.

Cadi Hopper
the authorCadi Hopper

Leave a Reply